Friday, November 8, 2013

Philosophy on YD

I wanted to post this on my blog in case it did not show up on my portfolio. 

Philosophy of Youth Development

I have been working with children since I was merely a child myself. Growing up I was surrounded by a lot of people older then myself, I eventually found myself acting more like them to try and fit in with them. From that I have instilled motherly instincts. In my own house I was the older sister to my younger brother and both of my parents worked nearly full time if not more. My mother went back to school to become a Nurse Practitioner and my father has always been a bit of a workaholic, so this left my brother and me to take care of ourselves once we were capable. From there I tended to take on the motherly role, making sure we both did everything we were supposed to from doing homework and following the rules of the household. This form of upbringing is what I would attribute today to my instincts of being a constant caretaker.
Before I went to college there was something also that happened in which I realized made me destined to be a child educator. I had been close to graduating high school when I started working at a daycare. For me it was the perfect job at the time. Work after school, make some money, and still have my weekends free. I walked in to the daycare and the smell of play dough and crayons immediately made me feel welcomed. During the interview the woman asked the burning question; do you like children? I had never thought about this before. While I had said yes at the time, I was not sure I knew the true answer to her question. That answer however was answered for me the following week when I began my first day working at Early Learning Center of Rhode Island.
Miss Mack was what I would be referred to throughout the time of working there. It did not take long before all of the children were circled around me, asking me my name, what I was doing there, would I play with them. I was pulled around the playground told stories by each excited child. There was not one second of that first day that I was bored, and for the three years that I worked there I never had a day that I didn't come into work that I didn't smile for most of the day.
Working at the daycare taught me a lot about myself, I learned that I was a hard working, passionate individual. For three years, I called out sick once. Most importantly though, I learned the true answer to that question I was asked during my initial interview; that I do have a true passion and admiration for working with children.
My philosophy of practice with youth consists of enthusiasm and curiosity. These two characteristics will be helpful for all of my future practice and work with children. When working with youth one must have a genuine want and desire to be constantly surrounded in this type of environment. Working with children requires having curiosity in learning more about them as individuals every day.

From attending Rhode Island College, and being in the Youth Development Program I have been able to learn how I will be able to bring my philosophies into my practices. Excitedly, I wait to enter the field of Early Intervention and be able to work with children and their families to help in their developments. Throughout these experiences I will make sure to bestow upon my enthusiasm and curiosity of Youth Development to these families and their children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment